Friday, June 17, 2011

Stepping outside for a swim

Sometimes we have problems. Problems that need to be solved by taking a step back and taking a moment to assess the situation. My organization is a CBO (Community based organization) and I have been trying to find my role there for quite some time. Its been about 8 months and I've still been trying to push my org in a new direction - but sometimes this doesnt work. The problem with my org, is they are used to the volunteers just being there....sitting around....maybe doing a project, maybe not. Well, I've explained to my boss at work that I didn't drop my life in the states to come to a country where my help wasn't wanted. Again, this is a common challenge that many volunteers face. So I've made the decision, along with the amazing help of Ilidio from the pc staff, that its better for me to venture out into the community and work on other projects in Chongoene. At first, I thought that this would be kind of like a slap in the face to my org, but then I thought about how frustrated I'd be sitting in an office and doing absolutely nothing. That isn't why I joined peace corps. So now, I have a new focus, new goals, and motivation. I will continue working with my REDES group (go to the fb page for more details!), going to the hospital, and helping out other organizations in Chongoene and Xai Xai that need my help. Its not only a way to stay productive, but also a way for me to feel good about what I'm doing. And yes, my boss will probably not like it that I'm doing work with other organizations, but that's something she will also have to accept. I'm not ready to just give up yet, my site has potential, and I am hoping things will turn out on a positive note.

There will be more updates to come, for now I need to roll out!

bjs.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww this is Deep Naa,i like the BOLDNESS and ZEAL to make yourself useful even though your Org doesn`t find anything wrong with you just sitting around and doing nothing. I know things might seem tough and rough in the begining but trust me with time U gonna smile..going to check your Group on facebook out..Please make me a member too. :)

    ReplyDelete